authentication failure

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Sat May 28 13:19:20 UTC 2005

Each time I successfully type in the password and start synaptic or the
update notifier, logcheck sends me a message along the lines of:-

sudo: (pam_unix) authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=
ruser= rhost=  user=<username>

Given that the failure doesn't stop anything working, what is the point
of the message?  Is there any harm in having logcheck ignore it
permanently?

Would there be any advantage in having it working without the error
message, and if so how would I set it up to work properly?

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/