Mounting /home on a partition's directory

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sat May 28 11:38:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 28 May 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Gábor Iglói wrote:
> I know I can put my home folder on a different partition from where /
> is with e.g mount /home /dev/hda6.

  mount [partition] [where]
eg.
  mount /dev/hda6 /home

> But is there a way to mount home on a subfolder of that partition e.g
> /home on /mnt/hda6/linuxhomes/home?

Can't quite follow, but I /think/ you're trying to do the following.  This
method is a bit of a pain since you need to delete the '/home' mount point
and to make way for the symlink:

  mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
  rmdir /home
  ln -s /home /mnt/hda6/linuxhomes/home

A slightly easier and better oute is just to symlink the individual users'
home directories (probably the solution you want):

  mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
  ln -s /home/alice /mnt/hda6/linuxhomes/home/alice
  ln -s /home/betty /mnt/hda6/linuxhomes/home/betty

If you're doing this for more than a couple of users, then the automounter
('autofs') does the mounting+symlinking automatically when the directory is
accessed.

	-Paul
--
It sometimes snows here.  Nottingham, GB