Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Sat May 28 09:59:07 UTC 2005

> > I think that If Ubuntu had been the first and only system that I ever
> > used then I would have been a very happy and contented user.
> > Unfortunately, I still, from time to time, miss some of the applications
> > I used with Windows. However, I am content to live without these for the
> > time being, and hope that, in the not too distant future, suitable
> > educational and reference software, for example, will become available.
> >
> > Norman
> >

> Norman,
>
> I'd like to know what software you miss. Perhaps we can either find or
> make it for you. That's the Linux mantra - we'll just do it ourselves!

Thank you very much for your kind offer it is very much appreciated.
However, I speak not only for myself but for other members of my family
who I would like to convert to Ubuntu from Windows. This is not because
I hate Windows but because I am fed up with having to deal with the
effects of viruses etc. on their machines. Much of what is needed is
educational such as access to encyclopedia and reference works, 'games'
which help in language, maths and science and, of course, the ability to
listen to and download 'popular' music from the net. Also, there is the
very large library of games available to run in Windows but not in
Ubuntu. Perhaps I am missing something but all of those pieces of
software which my family possess and that I have tried do not work in
Ubuntu.

One bright spot is that a piece of Astronomy software called SkyMap Lite
runs with the help of Wine but, however, the display and the way data is
presented, is not as readable as when run in Windows for which it was
developed.

I could go on but I will stop and leave the rest to others who have
rehearsed the answers to the question many times in the past and will.
doubtless, do so in the future.

Norman