Using Mouse wheel for Pasting

Paul M. Bucalo ubuntuser at pmbservices.com
Fri May 27 20:54:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 14:32 -0600, Dan R. Hunt wrote:
> I would like to enable the center mouse wheel, that also functions as
> a click button to paste when pressed. I have a logitech usb mouse that
> is run through a ps2 port converter and into a KVM switch, using
> Hoary. Any tips improving how this works?
> --
> Dan Hunt  Saint Brieux Saskatchewan Canada

Dan,

Here's my mouse driver section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"

The key 'ingredient' for the middle button/roller to work is that last
option. Middle clicking to paste after have highlighted is not roller
dependent. Make sure that you do *not* have an option line:

Option	"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"

Having this could make your middle button useless for pasting.

Paul