NTP Clock synchronisation

John DeCarlo johndecarlo at gmail.com
Fri May 27 14:46:44 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Amanda Gillespie <gillespie.amanda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a complete newbie, just installed Ubuntu 5.04, and I've noticed that
> when it boots, it fails to connect/sync with the clock at ntp.ubuntu..
> .(blah)...
>
> Have I not installed something properly? My internet runs off an http
> proxy, and usually a log-in page appears in my browser before I can surf -
> could this be the reason its not connecting? (I'm thinking ntp and http are
> not the same though...)

Amanda,

You are right that if you are behind a proxy, ntp won't sync with
ntp.ubuntulinux.org <http://ntp.ubuntulinux.org>.

Your Internet provider may have a time server. Check with them and if they
do, you can change the boot process to call your server instead.

Otherwise you can just ignore it. I move my laptop around a lot and
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At work I run "sudo ntpdate x.y.z"
with a local ntp server for x.y.z. Just do it by hand.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own