ipw2200 + Laptop + Hoary = Mess?

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:58:52 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Dan Svarreby <dan.svarreby at home.se> wrote:
> Hi "List"
>
> I have been struggling with getting ipw2200 to work on my laptop during
> the past
> 3-4 days. At this point everything is working except one thing; my
> wireless connection
> drops after a very short period of time (it's a matter of minutes).
>
> I have read in the forum about a "Quick-&-Dirty Trick" wich means that
> one could
> run a script that automatically checks if the connection is up or not
> (checking if the AP's
> MAC-address is reachable).
>
> Are there any readers that know of any other working methods to "fix"
> this annoying problem?

You need to provide more details.

Are you using WPA? WEP? No encryption?
What is your WAP?
When your connection fails, is there anything in your system log?
Are you using the stock (0.19 I believe) drivers?
When it's working what is the signal strength? Use iwconfig to show
it. The line that looks like this:  Link Quality=84/100  Signal
level=-46 dBm  Noise level=-75 dBm
Is helpful.  The gnome tool (network monitor) is useless for debugging.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com