Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Kreg Schlosser liberaltugboat at gmail.com
Fri May 27 06:16:48 UTC 2005

Ok I got to get in on this...
Pretty much everyone who has contributed to this has had atleast
onevalid point, so there is no reason for any argueing.
As some one who works for a fairly high profile system integrator (we
are an intel premier provider and microsoft managed partner) there are
a couple major problems that hinder  linux from becoming a widely used
desktop os.

The first hinders the consumer market:
There are practically no pre built computers that are mass marketed
with Linux pre installed. Distros keep trying to make linux easier to
install... but if you have ever done a Windows install the LARGE
majoritry of users could not install Windows successfully. Most copies
of windows (I think the number is like 85-90% but I could be wrong)
come preinstalled.
Untill companies like Dell, HP and Gateway start shipping and
marketing Linux machines then the mass market will (more then likely)
be out of the question.

The Second problem hinders the corporate market:
Accountablity and support. If it breaks, who is going to fix it? This
is still a major problem for alot of reasons. Tech support from
distrobutions, internal support, training and certification all need
more work before linux can really be used as a business desktop.

I am just pointing out observations I have made, that is all.