Upgrade of applications

John French cjf at tow.org.uk
Thu May 26 12:53:57 UTC 2005

Please could one of you kind people explain to me, as a newbie,
something which I haven’t understood.

On Windows, I am using :

OpenOffice.org 1.9.97
Firefox 1.04

On Hoary, to which I am moving, I find :

OpenOffice.org 1.1.3
Firefox 1.02

Now I can understand that the ubuntu builders would not have wanted to
delay Hoary by rebuilding every time there is a new application release.
So, on Windows, I would download, and install, that myself. And it
doesn’t seem a very tough job to do the same on Linux. But I detect that
this may not be wise, because I read postings asking when ubuntu will
release such and such a new component. So am I advised to upgrade
myself, or not ?

John French