[hoary] openoffice (really) slow

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Thu May 26 12:44:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 15:20 +0300, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> I started getting the described behaviour after installing a Truetype
> fonts package (some MS original fonts, not remembering the name..)
> Before, all fonts were rough and nasty, now, they sometimes look good
> (but not always).  Starting takes about a minute, and lots of CPU
> cycles (CPU bar is at top during the whole time).
>
> So, normal Linux behaviour, I'd say.. :P  Go, figure..?

When I read some of the posts here I begin to wonder whether I am
running a different system to many of you. I have just loaded OpenOffice
for the first time today and it took about 22 seconds from pressing the
button to being ready to do my first piece of text. The system monitor
showed 2 very short peaks of 100% CPU usage.

I must confess that I am using Hoary as supplied by Ubuntu with very few
additions and I know nothing about the workings of Linux. Perhaps that
is why I don't suffer from problems like many of you appear to do.

Norman