Bad Xorg symbolic link in Breezy

Thomas Templin lists at gnuwhv.de
Thu May 26 08:10:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 26 May 2005 07:02, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:05:35AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:08:54AM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > > X died on me and won't restart.  I see that /etc/X11/X is a
> > > symlink to /usr/bin/X11/Xorg, which is a symlink to
> > > /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg.  However, in the latest Breezy
> > > xserver-xorg (6.8.2-20), /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg is not an
> > > executable, but is a symlink to itself!  Thus there is no
> > > server.
> >
> > Um, in -20, /usr/bin/X11/Xorg is a symlink to
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg.
>
> Um, yes, as I said in the first sentence above.  But (and I
> removed the symlink and reinstalled, but nothing changed):
>
> $ ls  -al /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 20 2005-05-25 21:41 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg
> -> ../../X11R6/bin/Xorg
>
> > Unless, of course, you attempted to repair the damage by making
> > /usr/bin/X11 a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin somehow, in which case
> > you get to keep both pieces.
>
> Nope.  I solved the problem by extracting Xorg from the archive
> and copying it to /usr/X11R6/bin/.  I'm not sure what caused the
> original problem or why reinstalling kept recreating the bad
> symlink.  I suspect the -16 to -20 upgrade causes something to
> break.
>
> But then, I didn't really expect Breezy to be stable anyway.

What will be interesting for some of us is how to get rid of
Xorg -20?

I figured out two different ways that seem to work.
(here at least and up to now, pheew)

!! WARNING !!
I would strongly suggest this only for experienced users until
it has not been proved by someone else!
So, You've been warned!

OK, rock'n'roll, lets live on the edge...

Pinning to xorg -10 only don't work due to error messages during the
downgrade / (re)installation.
There are some directories which have been links in xorg -10 and are
directories in xorg -20 and due to this have to be moved to an
other place first (Or may be deleted, what I never like to do. As a
fallback its always better to move them to another place first so
that there is a chance to revert such a step.
{1st commandment of UNIX: There are foolhardy administrators and old
administrators. But no foolhardy old administrators} :-)

1. Add a preferences file to /etc/apt/ for pinning hoary
   This will start a downgrade of all packets which have been
   installed from breezy! But your system will be ok afterwards.

   - Add a preferences file to /etc/apt

   ---8<--- /etc/apt/preferences
   Package: *
   Pin: release a=hoary
   Pin-Priority: 1100
   ---8<---

   - Then move two directories:

   mv /usr/include/X11 /usr/include/X11.back
   mv /usr/lib/X11 /usr/lib/X11.back

   - Then start:

   apt-get dist-upgrade

   - pray ;)

!! I would be glad if anyone can prove this, please. !!

2. Only downgrade all xorg related stuff
   This may not work for all of you because of xfonts which you may
   have installed but I don't. For this you have to add your
   specific xfonts I don't have in my downgrade. My xfont entries
   may be an orientation how to do this.

   - Move two directories:

   mv /usr/include/X11 /usr/include/X11.back
   mv /usr/lib/X11 /usr/lib/X11.back

   - Now downgrade all xorg stuff via apt-get
     (the \ is a line feed in bash, you may remove this and put
     everything in one line. So this will make fizzeling around more
     comfortable ;-)
     I would strongly suggest you to have a look if the packages I
     have in my downgrade command are installed on your system.
     If not remove them from my example otherwise this packets will
     be installed on your system:

   apt-get install xserver-xorg=6.8.2-10 xorg-common=6.8.2-10 \
   xfonts-base=6.8.2-10 xfonts-75dpi=6.8.2-10 \
   xfonts-scalable=6.8.2-10 xfonts-100dpi=6.8.2-10 \
   xbase-clients=6.8.2-10 xfree86-common=6.8.2-10 \
   xlibmesa-dri=6.8.2-10 xserver-common=6.8.2-10

   - pray ;)

!! I would be glad if anyone can prove this too, please. !!

1st commandment of coastGNU:
GNU/Linux is rock'n'roll.
Ist fast, loud and sexy.
We have no groupies yet, but we are working on that.
(c:

Bye,
Thomas
--