Is Linux a desktop operating system?

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 25 21:29:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 16:47 -0400, dave walker wrote:
> The one thing you have to remember is that as much as we don't like
> Windows, it still is a tool that has a purpose.  All Linux
> distrobutions, even Ubuntu, is not ready to be pushed to the standard
> user.  I think we are getting closer, and more automatic.  Windows is
> a,
> don't kill me, great OS for that user, as much as I don't like to
> think
> that.  Ubuntu has and is doing a fantastic job on making a desktop OS.

All Ubuntu needs is a point and click installer with some method for
resizing Windows partitions.
And maybe a "Welcome to Ubuntu" document on the Desktop that includes
links to the restricted formats page, or maybe the "haih" script would
be better.

I suggest that Windows isn't a great OS for anyone. It's insecure,
bloated and prone to fall over. It treats users like fools and yet
doesn't allow for foolish users. It's no easier, and ofter is much
harder than Linux to use. Add to that the appallingly cynical attitude
that M$ takes on support and security. They extort money from schools
and hospitals and governments in the so called first, second and third
world.
I won't go on.
Mostly Windows allows you to play at being creative, up to the point
where you want to get serious and then you have to pay and pay and pay.

regards

nux