installing ubuntu without bootable CD rom drive

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Wed May 25 18:48:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 11:23 -0700, Ed Fletcher wrote:

> Rich Duzenbury wrote:
> | Hi again ubuntu-ers!
> |
> | I've been going round and round the archives/google/wiki to find the
> | definitive instructions for installing ubuntu on a machine that cannot
> | boot a cd-rom.
>
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SmartBootManagerHowto
>
> I just used this to install Hoary as a server on a PPro 180.  The
> machine is too old to boot from cd.

I've seen this advice before, but I've never gotten it to work.  My
pcmcia CD-ROM drive must not be supported by SBM.  When I try it, the
CD-ROM doesn't appear in the drop down as one of the choices.

I eventually gave up and did a network install.

Regards,
Rich

--
Current Conditions in Des Moines, IA