installing ubuntu without bootable CD rom drive

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Wed May 25 18:46:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 11:22 +0200, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> > It would be handy if I can boot into DOS, and then start the installer
> > on the CD.
>
> Take a look a "loadlin" (google). This is a linux loader for DOS.
>
> The kernel and initrd.gz is in the "install" directory of the install
> CD. A command like this should may do the job:
>
>  >loadlin D:\install\vmlinuz root=/dev/ram rw initrd=C:\install\initrd.gz
>
> I don't know if the linux kernel does detect your CD-Rom, but you will see.
>
> Regards, Thomas

I fiddled and fussed and never was able to get this to run.  Always got
a kernel panic after a couple of seconds.  Turns out that both knoppix
and ubuntu recognize the cd-rom drive just fine, once card services are
loaded.

I did use loadlin, but I used it to fire up the network install.  Much
slower and more painful, but I at least got ubuntu loaded.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,
Rich

--