Localizing Hoary

Gábor Iglói mdjake at gmail.com
Wed May 25 11:53:21 UTC 2005

> > I'd like to ask what steps are required for obtaining the best Ubuntu
> > localization experience?
>
>  Get language-pack package for your language. :-)

Yes, I checked that I can say that Ubuntu Setup did that for me.

I had an idea of sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales. I x-ed in hu_HU.UTF-8
UTF-8 and also hu_HU ISO-8859-2 and made the hu_HU (ISO-8859-2) the
default locale. So now my Ubuntu uses Latin-2 encoding.

And - what a surprise - suddenly I have the correct accentuated
characters in the filenames in both Nautilus and Gnome Terminal. And
also mc started to display the correct accentuated letters on its
Hungarian UI.

But life is not that easy :( Unfortunately if I enter to an
accentuated folder on my vfat partition (e.g "/mnt/vfat/Saját
Műtétek") in Nautilus - which as I said displays the name of that
folder correctly and displays the accentuated files in that folder
correctly too - but in the URL line of Nautilus the path becomes
something like "file:///mnt/fat32/Saj%E1t%20M%FBt%E9tek" and I can't
open any files from that folder because applications won't find them
under that strange path. But if I open up a terminal and try to open a
file from that folder e.g "openoffice /mnt/vfat/Saját\
Műtétek/Hajdú.sxw" then openoffice opens up and opens the required
file.

So if I change locales from UTF-8 to Latin-2 with dpkg-reconfigure: my
filenames are OK both in Nautilus and Gnome Terminal and even the
Terminal displays Hungarian text correctly - BUT Nautilus transforms
accentuated folders into strange paths (UTF-8?) thus not allowing any
apps to open files from there. So it seems while Nautilus displays the
accentuated names correctly under the file icons and allows browsing
them - it converts accentuated path names to UTF-8 which are
uninterpretable for applications. However any accentuated file/folder
can be opened from terminal with the appropriate command and URL.

So reverting from UTF-8 to Latin-2 makes my Ubuntu system displaying
Hungarian filenames correctly and older Latin-2 applications' output
readable (like mc) but sabotaging my ability to use Nautilus which is
my preferred file browser.

Does anybody know a way to tell Nautilus not to auto-convert URLs
containing accentuated characters from Latin2 to UTF-8?