fluxbox- slow startup, freezing etc & a solution
peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 25 03:41:11 UTC 2005
On Tue, 24 May 2005 16:33:34 +0300
Amichai Teumim <amichai.teumim at gmail.com> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> Hi guys
> This is regarding fluxbox
> "if its not too much trouble - please mail the maintainer of the
> package and tell him to --disable-xmb so that this problem is fixed
> once and for all. your not the first person that has this problem"
> "its something about the font server being flooded with queries."
> This was a #fluxbox guy.
> My fluxbox takes forever to load and then freezes.
This is the answer! Thanks for the info!
I just recompiled fluxbox thus: (including what you should need to make it work)
1. sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall #(I already had these, but in case you don't)
2. sudo apt-get install xlibs-dev #(you'll need this or it won't compile)
3. Get the source tarball and tar xvjf <fluxbox-tarball-of-choice>
4. cd to the directory created
5. ./configure --enable-kde --enable-gnome --disable-xmb (note the --disable-xmb!)
7. sudo checkinstall
(optional, instead of "sudo make install", but makes it easier to uninstall and so on)
This should build a package for you and install the fluxbox binary in /usr/local/bin
If you make a ~/.xsession file for it you should now be able to start it from the Default session in GDM.
Flux now starts for me in seconds, and no longer eats my cpu for breakfast when I try to change themes... ;-)
Hope this helps someone...
More information about the ubuntu-users