Dail up and Konsole problems

Ken McLennan kenrmcl at dnet.net.au
Wed May 25 00:34:10 UTC 2005

G'day there Mate,

> I have Compaq presario 2100 with winXP Pro and Ubuntu
> 5.04 on it.
> I have two problems:
> 1-) I have been trying to use dail up to
> connect(Genome PPP) but the modem  doesn't seem to
> work. When I try to use detect modem it gives me the
> following error "no modem was found on your  system"

	I had a similar problem whenever I tried to use WvDial. I've never got
it to work yet on any of the distributions I've tried, including Warty &
Hoary. I currently use yawmppp and it's faultless.

	I did get the Gnome dialler to work previously by using pon & poff but
on first use it gave me the same error that you've listed.

	I found in my case, that I didn't have a symlink between /dev/ttyS0 (my
modem port- yours may be different), and /dev/modem. When I made the
link it worked fine, but was deleted every time I rebooted. I still
don't know why. I resolved the issue by referring directly to /dev/ttyS0
instead of /dev/modem in any scripts. Works fine now.

> 2-) When I start Ubuntu it gives me the following
> message "Failed to load image kosole Details: icon not
> found"
> Any ideas?

	Can't help with that one, sorry.

See ya