Antoher freezing problem

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 24 19:12:49 UTC 2005

Anders Wallenquist wrote:
> I have a Hoary running as an firewall with no console attached to it. A
> year ago this machine was a  Debian Sarge with two Ethernet cards (3Com
> and Intel on board). April this year I added a D-Link DGE-528 Gbit Lan
> card, and to get this card running I had do upgrade do Hoary. For two
> weeks (waiting for our new DMZ adress span and new ISP) this
> configuration work well.
>
> Juggling with the new ISP I change the old 3Com-card to a standard
> RTL-card. Now, the new configuration freezes every eight or four hour.
> With two RTL-cards it freezes every 24 to 36 hour.

I haven't had any trouble with RTL cards. But they can be *really* built
down to price. And they're the one thing you changed.

If you have two Realtek cards, and you're seeing freezing with one of
them and the Intel on-board NIC, do you still see freezing with the
other Realtek and the Intel NIC?

There's a vague possibility that there could be an IRQ-type problem with
something else in the system: have you tried the Realtek in another PCI
slot?

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "[the computer] belonged to our Rabid NT Guy, and we
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | called it Kant partly because we were naming servers