Your session only lasted 10 seconds

Ubuntu Warrior ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 24 14:51:53 UTC 2005

After having Hoary running for over a month without rebooting I decided
to force a reboot to ensure a clean startup (can't get rid of those bad
M$ habits). Well I can no longer boot into the system - I get the
blasted 10 sec error message too:

-Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you

have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there

is some installation problem or that you may be out of

diskspace.  Try logging in with one of the failsafe

sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

The ~/.xsession-errors file states:

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and
utmp

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h ""

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...

/etc/gdm/Xsession: line 73: ls: command not found

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Executing default failed, will try to run
x-terminal-emulator

/etc/gdm/Xsession: line 217: exec: x-terminal-emulator: not found-

Trying to use one of the failsafe options does not work - the terminal
failsafe option allows me to get to the command prompt but it doesn't
recognise any commands like ls, su, man, etc. Have tried removing the
.ICEauthority file in the user home directory but this also does not
solve the problem. :-x

Hope someone can help with this. Have been trying to install
open-xchange with the supporting postgresql, openldap, etc. when this
happened.

--
Ubuntu Warrior