Linux in Government: Optimizing Desktop Performance, Part II | Linux Journal

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 14:51:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 16:18 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 09:07 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > Maximilian, thank you. It started on this list. I still have one or two
> > more articles in the series.
> >
> > Also, thanks to the people who made suggestions.
>

> Tom, what's the update about the Ubuntu book, did you receive more
> feedback off-line ? Is your boss willing to let you write one ? :-)
> Does he give directions about the content/type/size of the book, or are
> you free to write whatever you seem is best ?

Vince, O'Reilly would entertain a community press edition of an Ubuntu
book. But, they decided against a standard ORA release because of the
six month release date of Ubuntu.

Distribution specific books don't do well historically. Red Hat once did
well, but even it has stopped selling. If we had enough volunteers to
put together a book as a community, then O'Reilly would publish it.

We would not have the benefit of their editorial staff, production team,
etc. But, that didn't stop "The Catheral & the Bazaar" from doing well.

I understand that another publisher has agreed to do a book in
conjunction with Canonical.