freezing problems

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue May 24 12:47:10 UTC 2005

Matt Patterson wrote:
> You may simply have a failed video card. If you have tried both drivers,
> turned acceleration and agp off on both (this includes trying the
> hardware and software cursor options, and dri is acceleration), then you
> may have a card with bad memory. I had a rage 128 that would freeze the
> computer for no reason at random times, turned out it was a dud of a card.

I have experience of that: I have a failed archaic PCI S3 Virge that
worked fine in two computers. I must have damaged something when I
transferred it to the third. Now it will run VESA mode graphics and text
mode fine, but crash both Windows and Linux as soon as you try anything
accelerated.

I actually kept the thing: the second box became a personal server
running Red Hat Linux on 32 MB, back when that was a reasonable thing to
do. I didn't have X installed, but occasionally wanted to log in on the
console, so I kept the card installed there.

>From my experience, though, it's difficult telling when these 9200s are
actually faulty, and when they're just a malevolent design.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | A: Because people don't normally read bottom to top.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?