Compiling the bcm5700 module

ajft ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 24 12:14:13 UTC 2005

I've just "upgraded" what was a working Debian workstation to Ubuntu and
am

very surprised to find that there's no support for the Broadcom
ethernet BCM5788

that I _was_ using for several months.  I've been trying to work my way
through

the circuitous Ubuntu way of creating a module that I thought would be
in the base

system.

> Type "sudo m-a" and select "PREPARE" (creates a link in /usr/src to
the headers)

> then exit and:

> $ sudo m-a build bcm5700

> $ sudo m-a install bcm5700

These work, although after the first step i get told to run

"m-a install bcm5700-source"

This ends up with a module in
/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-686-smp/bcm/bcm5700.ko

However, attempting to load it results in:

fafnir:/lib/modules# modprobe bcm5700

FATAL: Error inserting bcm5700
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-686-smp/bcm/bcm5700.ko): Invalid module format

fafnir:/lib/modules# uname -r

2.6.11-1-686-smp

>From 'dmesg':

bcm5700: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

Can anyone help?

thanks.

Adrian

--