Nagios Setup

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Mon May 23 14:26:05 UTC 2005

I am currently trying to set up Nagios on an Ubuntu (Hoary) computer
running the 2.6.10 kernel.
I installed Nagios using Synaptic.  After installing, I read (almost)
the entire documentation.  The only parts I didn't read were the
advanced configuration setup sections.
Anyway, I can't seem to do anything after the install.  I don't know
what to do next.  I tried going to "http://127.0.0.1/nagios/", but I
just got a 404 error.

Any ideas on what I should do?  Or what I could do next?  Or where I
might look to find answers to these questions?

What I've done:
These are the packages I installed:
     nagios-common   2:1.3-0+pre6
     nagios-mysql        2:1.3-0+pre6
     nagios-plugins      1.3.1.0-12ubuntu3
The first time I tried installing this, I tried downloading the tarball
and installing manually.  I followed the instructions to the letter.
But nothing worked.  So I removed everything it had installed and tried
again using the package in the repository.  That is where I sit right
now.
As for making the necessary httpd config changes, I added in what the
documentation said to add in:
"ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/nagios/">
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>"
AND
"Alias /nagios/ /usr/share/nagios/htdocs/
<Directory "/usr/share/nagios/htdocs">
     Options None
     AllowOverride AuthConfig
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>"
The first time around (when I used the makefile method), I did not do
this, however.  I was rather confused and didn't want to mess anything
up.

Also, I am running the Apache2 server, and I have not made any changes
to its configuration except for the additions to httpd listed above.

The main reason I am doing this is to learn from it.  I am doing this
for a school project that I had wanted to have finished by Tommorrow.
It isn't the end of the world if it takes a little longer though.  I
just hope I can figure this out with some of your help :).

Anyway, if any of you can help me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
~Matt