Mass deployment and manage information system

Robbo ml at the-view.eclipse.co.uk
Mon May 23 20:21:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 12:02 +0200, Benoit Guguin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We use Ubuntu as workstation, it's very nice and easy :).
>
> But we search a way to deploy, manage and monitor ubuntu workstations
> over a lan.

If your using workstations that are a too powerful to be a thin client,
take a look at AFS (http://www.openafs.com).  It's a distributed
filesystem, so you could have the workstations booting up from PXE,
mounting the AFS filesystem and using the local hard disk as a cache (so
instead of getting programs from the network it uses the local disk).
This way you can get thin client maintenance but fat client performance.