gdm not starting

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon May 23 10:19:41 UTC 2005

> I have been tinkering around trying to get more screen resolutions in
> GNOME, however when I tried to change them it caused gnome to freeze,
> unfortunately on an unsupported setting.  So I am guessing that when gdm
> treis to start up it tries to use that setting because gdm will no
> longer start up.  Xorg.0.log has always done a good job of confusing me,
> and now it is saying something about needing a screen defined for each
> resource or something to that effect.  I shudder at the idea of having
> to reinstall the whole ubuntu,

You just need to restore your X config file : /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or
edit the file by hand and remove all reference to the unwanted
resolution.

> as I have downloaded many packages that were not small (to me) for it.
> Does anyone on this list know how I can fix this?

I have broadband now (thank god for this invention..), but when I was
still on dial-up and had to re-install Warty, what I did to avoid
spending 48 hours downloading packages from synaptic, is simply to
backup/copy the directory /var/cache/apt, into the /home partition
Then as soon as you have re-installed Ubuntu from the CD, delete the
fresh /var/cache/apt and replace it with the one you just backed up.
Then when you go to Synaptic to re-install all your programs/packages,
they won't be downloaded, but simply read from the cache.... takes 5
minutes to re-install everything, instead of 5 days :-)

HTH

--
Vince