technical question

Jim Cheetham jim at egressive.com
Mon May 23 09:49:54 UTC 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 9:37 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> Look for 'timestamp_timeout' in the sudoers manpage.  The default is
>> 15 minutes.  I think the default /etc/sudoers also has tty_tickets set
>> (not sure, but I don't think I changed it), which means the
>> authentication takes place per tty.  Also related, sudo's -k & -v
>> command-line switches.
>
> Excuse my ignorance but what does tty mean?

Literally, teletype - one of those old devices with a keyboard and a
roll of printer paper. They used to be the basic method of talking to a
computer - noisy too, which is probably why so many unix commands drop
their vowels and are as short as possible :-)

But in the case of your PC, a tty is a terminal window ;-)

-jim