ALSA on G4

Mike S michael_six at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 23 06:27:27 UTC 2005

has anyone even tried to use ALSA on the mac?  I seem to have just about
everything running smoothly using ESD, and recompiled others to use ESD
but I have read that ESD causes a hell of a processor drain, and there's
others that I would like to try to get sound on, such as MOL.  But my
only experience in linux so far has been to get things compiled, and
getting certain options right in those compilations.  I have searched
google for answers, and keep coming across problems with ALSA on the
PPC, but not how to try it. The only thing I have tried is when in GNOME
go to System -> Preferences -> Multimedia Systems Selector and try to
change the Default Sync, ALSA, Artsd, and OSS all say failed
constructing a pipeline When I push Test.  As they all say the same
thing I am almost possible that this is a configuration problem, so
could someone point me in the right direction?

--Mike S