aptitude Problems

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sun May 22 23:25:47 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 15:27 -0700, Mike S wrote:
> Ok list, second post, but this is not architecture specific.  This is
> the 3rd time I have installed Ubuntu on this computer (5.04, Hoary I
> think is what it's called), And twice I have run  into the same
> problem.  After a while when I use apt or aptitude, I get "WARNING: The
> following packages cannot be authenticated!" on any package I install or
> upgrade, has anyone else come across this error, and/or know what's
> causing it, and/or know how to fix it?
> Any help is much appreciated.
> --Mike S

Yes.  If you try to install a package from a repository that is not
digitally signed, you'll see that message.Are you using other (non
Ubuntu) repositories?

If you're using only Ubuntu's and have that problem, then it's most
likely that “aptitude” (or whatever “apt” front-end you're using) failed
to download the file “Release.gpg” from the server.  Just wait a few
minutes and load the package list (i.e. update it) again.

Ziyad.