3rd MOTU meeting summary

Daniel Holbach dh at mailempfang.de
Sun May 22 21:16:14 UTC 2005

Hey everyone,

this is the wrapup of the 3rd MOTU meeting, which took place on May
19th, 16:00 UTC. Sébastien Bacher, Hervé Cauwelier, Oliver Grawert,
Brandon Hale, Stephan Hermann, Daniel Holbach and Colin Watson
contributed their ideas to the meeting.

First point on the agenda was: "1) MOTUTeams - who's interested? What do
we do? When do we start?" As some members of existing or planned teams
were present, the following initiatives were mentioned: MOTUMono,
MOTUGNOME, MOTUPython/Zope. The most important question was  "What do we
plan for the teams and how can we make the ideas public to raise
awareness and interest. The list of possible team goals in the end
consisted of: "having heads up", bugsquashing, fixing, collecting ideas,
enhancing, having a better overview and sharing the workload. We tried
to figure out how to make teams happen and make team building process
easier, we referred to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUTeamHowto. Some even
questioned the need of an "attack plan" concerning the teams. We didn't
come to any conclusion, but some felt the need for strong teams now and
today and actions towards forming them.

The second point of the agenda was: "2)  current status of things" -
which was supposed to give general feedback on everything related to the
MOTU crew and the Universe. The Status of Malone (our shiny new
bugtracker) was a bit unclear to some, so Daniel Holbach volunteered to
get a status update. The current list of MOTUs [1] was (after a question
noticed to be complete).

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

Third point on the agenda was "3) feedback on current processes".
Stephan Hermann passed his concerns on the review processes and after a
long discussion with valuable input from Sébastien and Colin, Daniel
decided to investigate in the already being-used issue tracker RT [2].
Another issue discussed were "rules" for reviewing. We all hinted to the
Debian New Maintainer Guide, the Debian Policy and [3], which is far
from being complete.

[2] http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/
[3] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReviewingTips

Fourth point of the agenda was the state of the upcoming MOTU T-Shirt.
We currently have one design ready, but no final decision yet.

The Fifth point on the agenda was a last-minute explanation of a VERY
secret upcoming event. :-)

Stay tuned for news from the MOTU world!

Have a nice day,
 Daniel