Ubuntu Font

Shawn Christopher schristopheraz at gmail.com
Sat May 21 19:10:30 UTC 2005

kassetra wrote:

>Niran Babalola Wrote:
>

>>If you're in America, you don't have to[1]. I guess it's still more
>>polite to ask for permission though.
>>
>>- Niran
>>
>>[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Copyrighting_fonts
>>

>This gets kind of sticky though - Canonical/Ubuntu created the letters,
>not as a font, but as individual pieces of a copyrightable logo... I, in
>turn, took those individual pieces and created a font from them -
>without altering those letters in any way.
>
>But it isn't only from a legal standpoint that I would like their
>permission first.  :)

I had gotten into this "discussion" with the Mozilla Foundation. They
have a legal obligation to cover their licensing. Kassetra, if you
contact Canonical and they don't reply, then you release them and people
use them then they (Canonical) can lose the Trademark/Copywriting rights
and then anyone can use it. Seeing that fonts are a different format
than .jpg/.png/ or .gif or whatever then in THEORY you COULD release the
fonts.

However I understand where the professional courtesy and just regular
creative respect are comming into it.

Shawn