Breezy--no X after upgrade

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat May 21 11:05:06 UTC 2005

I upgraded Breezy yesterday and now X won't start.  The error message I
get is:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed';
the X server's font paths might be misconfigured, remote font server(s)
may be unreachable, and/or local fonts may not be installed or are not
configured correctly.

I noticed that x-window-system-core did not upgrade, so I ran 'apt-get
install' on it and the new version 6.8.2-15 was installed (this matches
the version of most other X packages, although some are at a different
revision).

What package contains the "fixed" font?  The following font packages are
installed (plus a few others):

ii  xfonts-100dpi                    6.8.2-11
               100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi                     6.8.2-11
               75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base                      6.8.2-11
               standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalable                  6.8.2-11
               scalable fonts for X

Bob

Bob