Ubuntu logo pirated again ! :-/

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sat May 21 08:15:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005 05:54 pm, Serg Belokamen wrote:
** Top posting fixed **

> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 07:56 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > Now that Microsoft has stolen the Ubuntu logo, it seems to be trend
> > that other follow !
> >
> > Look at this instant messing program's logo.... http://www.im2.com/
> >
> > Makes me sick... :-/
> >
> > I will try to stay positive though, and simply see the bright side of
> > things.... if it's copied, it's a public acknowledgment that the
> > original product is good :o)
> > So, in some way, it's free publicity for Ubuntu...
> >

> > --
> > Vince, with mixed feelings :-/
>
> Isn't open source all about sharing?

Yes, open source is about sharing.  But not at the cost of the rights of
authors.

Have a read of this:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/legal - which in turn links to:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy/

It (the second URL) states:

"Before using the Ubuntu name, device or logo outside the scope of fair use
(such as using these in a review to refer to the product), please send an
email to trademarks at ubuntulinux.org with your name, contact details, and a
short explanation of your proposed usage of the trademarks. We will answer
these mails as quickly as we can, so you can spread the love!
As long as you follow the Logo Standards listed below, you do not need to
contact us if:
- You want to use the logo in a desktop background. Go right ahead! You can
even share your work by listing it on our artwork page.
- You want to link to our website from your site. Buttons can be found
here[1].
- If you have any questions at all about your proposed use, please contact
us."
[1] http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/WebsiteButtons

So basically, yes you're right.  Share the love, but respect the copyright
of the owners.  Whether or not IM2's logo is a breach of Ubuntu's
copyrights and/or trade mark is a matter for others, more legally trained
myself, to decide.

Cheers,

James
--