installing ubuntu without bootable CD rom drive

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Sat May 21 05:51:07 UTC 2005

Hi again ubuntu-ers!

I've been going round and round the archives/google/wiki to find the
definitive instructions for installing ubuntu on a machine that cannot
boot a cd-rom.

I've got a Toshiba portege laptop, with an addonics pcmcia cd-rom drive.
I can access the drive just fine from win98.  I can access the drive
just fine from a DOS session via:

(config.sys)
device=a:\pcmi80cl.sys /QA
device=a:\statpcdm.sys /Q0 /D:/MSCD000

(autoexec.bat)
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

There are no bios options on this machine for booting from CD, only
floppy or hard disk.

I've got enough space on the HD to copy the installation CD files onto
the local hard disk, if that helps.  So far, I haven't found any
incantations for starting up the installer on a FAT32 partition.

It would be handy if I can boot into DOS, and then start the installer
on the CD.

Suggestions, please.

Thank you.

--