checkinstall (was: ubuntu and mythtv)

Carsten carscht at jpberlin.de
Fri May 20 09:17:55 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez schrieb:

> In synaptic, in stall the "checkinstall" package. Then, when you compile
> your program, do the "./configure", "make", but instead of "make
> install", do a "sudo checkinstall". This will integrate the program
> perfectly into the system/Synaptic.

"Perfect" is maybe not exactly the word to use in conjunction with
checkinstall packages. AFAIK, checkinstall builds its packages without
including any dependency information. So you can uninstall i.e. a
library although the package made by checkinstall depends on it. Your
program won't work any longer and you will have to figure out the reason
by yourself.
However I by myself also use checkinstall to install and particularly to
smoothly uninstall self compiled software but you should keep in mind
the insuccifiency of this kind of packages.
Carsten