ubuntu and mythtv

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri May 20 05:38:34 UTC 2005

> In any case, where should I go from here?  I suppose I could just wait
> awhile and hope that the 0.18.1 will appear in synaptic, though a
> pointer to some kind of timeline would be helpful.

Don't hold your breath. Hoary has been released, it's "stable", this
means that no new packages will ever be added to it, other than major
bug/security fixes.
So you if you want sometihng that is not in the Synaptic, you must
either install it yourself, or wait for the next version of Ubuntu to be
released, in october, which should include the latest version of
everything...

> I suppose I could try installing from source.  I don't want to corrupt
> my installation, however as I wish to continue to use synaptic to
> maintain it.

In synaptic, in stall the "checkinstall" package. Then, when you compile
your program, do the "./configure", "make", but instead of "make
install", do a "sudo checkinstall". This will integrate the program
perfectly into the system/Synaptic.

HTH

--
Vince