Working VNC server for amd64 ?

John Affleck lists+ubuntu-users at lists.oddment.net
Thu May 19 20:14:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:58:08PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Donnerstag, den 19.05.2005, 15:32 -0400 schrieb John Affleck:
> > Sorry, I should've specifically mentioned that vino doesn't count.
> > I'd rather not install the entire gnome desktop just to get a
> > vncserver.
> >
> > I actually just tried alien plus Fedora's vnc4 RPM pachage, and that
> > seems to work.  A pity it's not tightvnc, but it's better than
> > nothing.
> ouch...
>
> you probably should enable universe:
>
> ogra at honk:~ $ uname -a
> Linux honk 2.6.12-1-amd64-k8 #1 Tue May 10 10:53:38 BST 2005 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
> ogra at honk:~ $ apt-cache search tightvncserver
> tightvncserver - virtual network computing server software
>
> its all there :)

Does this actually work for you ?  I get the same segfault with this
that I get with vncserver package..

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a tightvncserver in Fedora,
and it looks like it's not coming anytime soon.  The AMD64 problem
appears to be something endemic to pre-4.2 versions of XFree86, which
are used in both the vnc4 and tightvnc packages in Ubuntu.  According
to http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Fedora/2004-12/3973.html,
tightvnc isn't likely to migrate away from it's XFree86 3.3 base
anytime soon.  Sigh.

	Thanks,

	John A.