system restore for ubuntu -- few ideas.

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Thu May 19 00:02:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Robert Jameson wrote:
> I was thinking today about the possibility to make it so users can
> restore back to a previous state

Some ideas around this were discussed and written up during:

  http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/SimpleBackupSolution

> During the install of ubuntu -- you would ideally that if you wanted to
> allow full system restores -- if so. You will be presented with a option
> to add a extra partition and set the size for the restore space (IE: 2GB).

This was one thing that was noted;  to keep space for roll-back/backups you
need to allocate that space somewhere before-hand.

> This would be great for OEM's -- or anyone!

Coincidently, I've just spent the last hour reading up on PARTIES and BEER.
These are part of a specification used to hide some section of the hard-disk
from the normal OS at the ATAPI level (getting the drive to return a fake
size) and allowing the BIOS to present various recovery methods for the user
to boot instead of the normal OS.

Amongst others, this is used for the IBM Rescue and Recovery/Rapid Restore
backup and OS reinstallation.

	-Paul

BEER == Boot Engineering Extension Record
PARTIES == Protected Area Run Time Interface Extension Services
--
It sometimes snows here.  London, GB