Install and post-install questions

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed May 18 22:51:18 UTC 2005

A bit late maybe, but in my defense I wrote the mail this morning and
then stored it away in the postponed folder... Maybe it's worth
something...

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:29:33AM -0700, simi wrote:
>1. If I make in a propriety window some changes, how can I revert to
>default settings or previously settings ? Because pressing Close button
>or the upper X it will not skip the changes.

It seems all GNOME dialogues apply changes automatically. So I don't
think there is any way of throwing away your changes except to manually
undo them all.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RootSudo

>3. Why I can't login as root in Gnome ?

Because it's a bad idea!

You can change it by configuring GDM. System->Administration->Login
Screen Setup (enter your own password when prompted, see the Wiki page
above if you're confused about why this is), on the Security tab you'll
find a tick-box.

>4. Save Current Setup when logging out ... what does this mean ? What
>is saving ?

If you are running any applications when logging out this will be saved,
the next time you log in they should all be started (and positioned)
just as you left them.

>5. How can I set not to start in Gnome ? To boot directly into console
>not X Server.

Execute

 $ sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove

To undo your changes you need to execute the following command:

 $ sudo update-rc.d -n gdm start 13 2 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 6 .

You are aware that you can jump from X to console by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+F1 (F1 take you to console 1, F2 to console 2, and so on)?

>6. How to install kernel source files ? Cause I need to install my
>NForce2 drivers and the installer need to compile a new kernel and does
>not find kernel sources.

Install the package containing the kernel sources
(kernel-source-2.6.xx).

>7. Is there a Midnight Commander alternative ?

Midnight Commander is available as package mc.
lfm is another option.

Both come from Universe.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

The wire protocol guys don't worry about security because that's
really a network protocol problem. The network protocol guys don't
worry about it because, really, it's an application problem. The
application guys don't worry about it because, after all, they can
just use the IP address and trust the network.
      -- Marcus J. Ranum