Centrino wireless with additional ethernet adapter

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Wed May 18 14:21:06 UTC 2005

John Ruschmeyer said:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 13:41 -0400, Jeff Elkins wrote:
>> On another note, would it be possible to automate this further with so
>> the
>> system chooses the correct interface depending if eth0 is plugged in?
>
> This sounds like a job for ifplugd. Basically, it's a daemon that brings
> up an interface when it detects a media connection (i.e., it would do
> and 'ifup eth1' when you plug in the lan cable).

If you plan to use ifplugd (which is a wonderful little tool), you should
be aware of a couple of things:

1) You should configure it to not beep whenever there is a plug event.
You can do this by running 'dpkg-reconfigure ifplugd' or through Synaptic.
 Whichever method you choose, add the -b command line option to the start
up options.

2) The version packaged for Ubuntu caused excessive CPU utilization on my
system.  My system was constantly running at about 25% - 30% CPU even if
it was mostly sitting idle.  If you install and run ifplugd, check your
CPU usage and make sure it's not bogging down your system.  I didn't have
this problem on vanilla Debian, so I'm not sure if it's an Ubuntu thing or
just this particular version of ifplugd.

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that