Share USB printer between 2 ubuntu machines

hagen van rissenbeck news4didascali at gmx.net
Tue May 17 14:58:23 UTC 2005

Xermán Soto schrieb:

>Hi List:
>
>I wonder how I can share a USB printer (Epson Stylus Color 760)
>connected to an Ubuntu PC and use it in another Ubuntu PC on the same
>local home network.
>
>Besides, I wonder how to share a folder between those two machines. I
>have already installed samba, smbfs, nfs but I cannot see shared folders
>on the network browsing with nautilus.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Take care
>
>Xermán

Hi Xerman,

I don't know, if your printer is working locally and if you are running
cups...

If it is the case, it is possible that you've got a problem that seems
to be nearly similar to  my network printer sharing problems  that I've
had  two or three weeks ago. (parallel brother printer)

The only thing is that I forgot to post my solution..., sorry for that.

However, here is, how I solved the printer sharing problem:

In my case it was a problem of the default printer configuration  using
cups.

The printer worked on the server machine locally, but no access from
other clients was possible...

That's because  cups does not allow in newer versions (per default) any
client in a network to use a printer which is configured on a printer
server.

As root, you have to add a line in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

You have to look for  "Security Options"

around line 750 you will find the follwing entries:

(...)
        <Location />
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny From All
        Allow From 127.0.0.1          # add the next line (enter your
individual network xxx.yyy.zzz.*)
        Allow From 192.168.1.*       # for example
</Location>

(...)

Save and exit...

Then restart cups (as root)