How do you make "make" work?

Lisa Z. netrouter9 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 14:07:18 UTC 2005

Cause it won't.  I cded ltmodem-2.6-alk-7(I'm trying to get my winmodem to work under Ubuntu). Yeah and that worked. That was the last thing that worked(the cding). But then "Make" just wouldn't work. I think it said something about not having a target. Should I have build-essential installed? Is it actual software or just a list? When I tried sudo dpkg --install with build-essential -apparently it needed many dependencies (sp.) and the dependencies needed dependencies. So I kept downloading from Debian to no avail. Some of the dependencies also required each other at the exact same time - so as to create a catch-22 situation.