Installation report for Acer TravelMate 8100

tibo ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 17 00:34:42 UTC 2005

> I think I got DMA working.  At least I am not getting dropped frames on
> the DVD playback now.  This is what I did:

> 1)  Downloaded the latest 2.6.11 kernel (2.6.11-4).

> 2)  Patched it with the SATA patch that Gary suggested

> 3)  Removed the ide-generic driver out of the config (not even in there
> as a module)

> 4)  Built and installed

> on boot, the DVD driver is recognized as scd0 instead of hdc.  I did
> have scsi emulation support as a module, but the module is not loaded,
> so I don't think that was necessary.

I succesfully patched the acpi ( this site was very helpfull btw
acpi.sf.net ) and I also got the X700 working. However I don't get the
DVD DMA patch. Can you please describe what you did in more detail ?

Also I was playing with the hard drive setting and think I screwed up
something. HD performace dropped sharply but i not sure what i changed,
could please tell me what modules do you use to get the HD working
right??

Thank you!

tibor

--