Ubuntu Wildfire

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon May 16 19:36:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:59:57AM -0700, Shawn Christopher wrote:
>One thing that I have seen that SpreadFirefox does that we (the Ubuntu
>community) doesn't is display our download numbers. I know this isn't
>really too viable because you can download...burn...and share. However
>I think that would help "if anything" to identify the numbers of users
>we may have.
>
>The reason I bring this up is because IBM recently decided that they
>are going to back their employees (all 330,000 of them) on the use of
>Firefox. One of the phrases that they used was "Can 52 Million users be
>wrong" however we are familiar that downloads does not equal users.
>However with such a large download that can help align the
>download/user basis, at least on a minimal level (people aren't going
>to download over and over again they'll use a CD which means a
>infinity:1 ratio) so this will show AT LEAST how many users there may
>be.
>
>I'd love to prompt the company I work for to start creating software
>for Linux however the argument they continously make is there is no
>userbase. While compareable to Windows sadly this is true however if
>everyone continues to think this way...well then how can we get
>anywhere with this? Anyone have any thoughts about this or know how I
>can escallate this to someone at Cannonical?

Counting installs might be an option, the last step in installing Ubuntu
cold be an opt-in to be counted. Don't really know how to do it. Maybe
popularity-contest does it or can be hacked to do it...

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Intellectual property (IP) has been driving the species for some five
million years. In the past 100 or so years, it's increasingly been saddled
with the chore of lining the pockets of middlemen and parasites who, sans
this lining, would lack sufficient intellect to open a can of beer.
     -- Tom Matrullo