Saving the MBR by "dd"?

Peter Baumgartner linuz at bssmusic.de
Mon May 16 14:30:41 UTC 2005

Kurt Underhay schrieb:

> Hi Peter
>
> The reply that has already been sent is correct i.e. bs=512, count=1.
>
> Do your FC3 and hoary installations share a boot partition, or are
> their respective /boot directories contained within hda5 and hda6?
> Because if the latter is the case, then they won't be able to speak to
> each other.

That´s worth a discussion, because copy/pasting the ubuntu part of the
"ubuntu" /boot/grub/ menu.list into the "FC3" one is sufficient to boot
all three os´es without Problems. "speaking to each other" of  OS´es is
another thing ;-)
Especially ubuntu has some problems with xfs and also with captive, IIRC.
I am not sure how to share a /boot partition with totally different
kernels, initrd´s and even filesystems, but thanks anyway.

> BTW - I seem to recall that XP Pro doesn't play havoc with the MBR as
> much as previous versions of Windows did, but of course it is
> definitely a good idea to back up anyway.

[...]

Peter