Can't log into GDM!

Gábor Iglói mdjake at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:10:10 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05, Maximilian Gerlach <m at px0.de> wrote:
> I have the suspicion that this always happens when I run a KDE program
> (-> K3B) as root in GNOME. Did you do something like that?
> Maxi

I think of something.

Do a df -h command next time you experience this. This command gives
you the amount of free space on each partition. Check if your root
partition is close to zero free space because with 0 free bytes
GDM/Gnome will refuse to start.

The origin of this is K3b uses /tmp (which is normally on the /
partition) as a temporary image folder so after writing a big cd/dvd
this folder gets full. The solution is to set K3B to store temp files
elsewhere where there is more space for this.