Ubuntu my love !

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon May 16 12:07:02 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Ah yes, AMD64 are nothing but troubles :-/
> I can't see any real benefit worth all this trouble, so I will stick
> with my old Athlon XP 1700+ which works perfectly :-)
> When I eventually upgrade my motherboard and CPU in 5 years or so, it's
> gonna be some flavour of dual or quad core Intel CPU, unless AMD
> produces a new range of (trouble free this time) processors in the
> meantime.

Don't blame the processors. They're trouble-free (AFAIK). The bugs are
in the software.

There's a lot of software around that still hasn't been tested that well
in 64 bit mode. Mostly it works, but there will be one or two bugs where
people made 32-bit assumptions.

> Maybe you could shift your AMD64 CPU on ebay and get a "normal" CPU
> instead ?

*Why*? If you can't cope with 64 bits, just install a 32 bit OS. It will
act perfectly well as a 32 bit processor: the Windows users have been
having to do this (or run beta software) since the first Opteron came
out until a couple of weeks ago.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "The US Air Force is removing harmful "greenhouse"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | gases from the cooling systems of intercontinental