enabling universe by default

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon May 16 03:08:30 UTC 2005

>  I believe the reason it is not enabled by default is because stable has a
> mandate (I could be wrong) to be maintained by the project owners however
> universe does not. Therefore why force as default that you have no
> obligation to maintain where the parts that you do have to maintain make up
> most of your time anyways.

A good description of all these sections of Ubuntu is available here:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/components/

The important bit about Universe with respect of "why isn't it enable
by default" is:

"All of this software is compiled against the libraries and using the
tools that form part of main, so it should install and work well with
the software in main, but it comes with no guarantee of security fixes
and support."

So it is up to the user to decide or not to use Universe with the
increased risk it brings to your system.