networking desktop to laptop

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Sun May 15 20:22:25 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, Dr W Hunter Blair <whblai1 at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> The computer are on a working wireless network. i.e. they connect with
> the internet through the wireless access point.
>
> I want to be able to write -mainly open office files - stored on the
> desktop, from the laptop, and save them back to the desktop. I also
> would like to print from the laptop to the printer attached to the
> desktop. I feel that I should be able to look all this up, but I seem to
> have a mental block over this.
>
> Thank you in advance again,

I think the easiest thing to do for the office documents is to install
openssh and then when you want something, just copy it over.  That way
you dont have to worry about mounting and unmounting a samba share.

As for the printer, CUPS should be running by default... you can try
using a browser to connect to port 631 on your desktop to configure
it.  Once you get the printer working, it should be usable from both
computers.