Help - can't get bittorrent or bittornado to work

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sun May 15 08:42:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 17:16 -0400, Michael Moum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't get bittorent or bittornado to work. When I click on a .torrent,
> the client comes up, but stalls out on connecting to peers. On
> bittornado, the ports are set to 6881 to 6889. I'm using guarddog to
> configure my firewall - that range of ports is open, and I've also tried
> it with the firewall disabled. No luck either way.
>
> Mepis is also installed on my machine. Bittorrent and bittornado work
> find when I boot into Mepis rather than Kbuntu.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Try: “btdownloadcurses some_torrent_file.torrent” from a terminal.

That should give you more info to what is happening (for example: Time
out connecting to tracker, Can't bind to the specific port, or some
other custom message from the tracker).

See if that message helps you.  If not, just re-post here again with the
result.

And, although you said it worked with other OSes, are you forced to use
an HTTP Proxy by your Internet connection provider?  Are you using NAT
(your Ubuntu system doesn't use a real IP address)?

Ziyad.