DNS shennanigans with a Linksys ADSL2MUE modem

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sat May 14 18:37:17 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I've finally taken the broadband plunge, with Plusnet in the UK.

For hardware, I have (so far, wireless access for the laptop is planned as
phase two) a Linksys
ADSL2MUE modem.  The modem is set to act as a DHCP server, and has been
left at its
factory default address setting of 192.168.1.1

This seems to work fine, apart from an apparent glitch in domain name
lookups for some programs.

Basically, there is no problem using Firefox.  However, Synaptic fails to
download package lists, or
indeed packages.  Evolution cannot find my POP mailserver.  Both these
programs work fine on
the old dialup connection.

If I look at the Ubuntu networking connection information, I find that the
only DNS listed is the router's
address of 192.168.1.1   It appears that Firefox is happy with this, but
Synaptic and Evolution aren't.
I can find the ISP's primary and secondary DNS addresses by querying the
modem's web setup
system.  If I enter them manually into Ubuntu's networking setup in place
of the modem's address, then
everything works fine for a few minutes, until something automatically sets
the DNS back to 192.168.1.1

Any suggestions as to how I should get the modem to pass through the
'proper' DNS addresses or get
Synaptic and Evolution to work with via the modem's address?

Neil