username & password

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sat May 14 13:58:59 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 06:25 -0700, Lisa Z. wrote:
> hi.
>
> I haven't used my computer with Ubuntu on it for
> awhile and I've forgotten my username and password! Do
> I have to reinstall the distribution or is there some
> other way to go about it?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Discover Yahoo!
> Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out!
> http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

No.  Just boot with the “Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-k7 (recovery mode)”
option instead of the default, this will login you automatically as
root.  After that view the file “/etc/passwd” and see if you remember
your login name.  Then issue the command “passwd username” (where
“username” is the login name you just remembered) and enter a new
password when prompted.

Ziyad.